Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The ONE Campaign

Today I was watching the Brad Pitt interview with Diane Sawyer on ABC primetime. And maybe I was just watching it because of all the media frenzy over Brad Pitt or maybe because he is too cute to miss, but I learnt something, saw something which touched my heart. The whole part about his trip to Africa to help the children, the statistics about medicine, education and just the money required to improve the life of African children was overwhelming.
You can find something about this interview at http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=813282&page=1
Only $16 can help fund education of a child in Africa for an ENTIRE year. That's how much most Americans spend on eating out each day. In July, big nations of the world are going to meet to decide about changing the face of Africa, to fund them and provide support. The ONE campaign is about that. Lend your support by signing the declaration at http://www.one.org/ActionSignup.aspx
Each of us can do something more, something that makes us feel better about ourselves. Signing this declaration can just be a beginning. Sometimes we want to help, but we just forget in our daily routine. I am that person too. I have this wish to adopt a child, give someone a future they could not have. Give them a life that I can give because I have the resources. I am from India, where there is still poverty and maybe from watching this show triggered my dormant feelings to help my country too. Maybe all of us from all over the world can take small steps to make someone else's life a bit better. In our own little way, we can make a big difference. Help your neighborhood, community, nation and the world.

No comments: