Friday, June 24, 2005

Lack of Advertising Talent!!

This is what I feel, that the commercials in the US are just so dull, boring and sometimes outirght stupid. Back in India, we have such funny and humorous ads that sometimes we would wait for a particular commercial to come up. Even commercials with celebrities would be witty and there is always competition to win over the other guy in content and concept. Here you just mention the other company's name in bad light, and that's a commercial for you. I have noticed that about 70 percent of total commercials are either about food or restaurants and cars or car dealerships. On my God! car delearship commercials would be my worst nightmare if I was in this business.
That is not to say that all hope is lost. There are still some funny ones like the Visa credit card with all superheroes or some just cute like the quiznos baby and some more which I can't seem to remember right now.
I am a creative and artistic person by nature and therefore do expect a bit better quality commercials. According to an article yesterday on slashdot titled DoubleClick Warns Against Ad-Blocking Browsers the end of free content is near if people continue to use ad-blocking popup something similar to people going to restrooms when a commercial comes up on television. Don't even get me started on internet popups. first there used to be actual popups where a new window opened up. So companies created ad-blocking software. But now there are popups within the web page itself. For example, on rediff you always have such popups that show up for about 5 seconds and then scale down to a smaller size. So everytime I click a link to read a news article and come back, this thing shows up again covering all links. Will someone please inform me if there are any blockers for such popups.
So that's all the whining for today. Looking forward to my weekend.

No comments: