Thursday, June 23, 2005

A book, A guide, A path to success??

Just today, I was browsing books at the town public library when I came across a book that sure enough seemed to jump right at me, telling me to read it especially with recent interesting happenings around me. So I took a look and before even going through any of its chapters, I read the first topic which said "Why this book was written and How". Some of you may have come to know by now which book I am talking about. Yes, the book is called "How to win friends & influence people" by Dale Carnegie. The title is grasping enough.
So as I was saying, hardly had I read through the second page of the above mentioned topic, I realized that my last blog had just asked the question whether technical skills or people skills take you further. According to the author, research conducted by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and Carnegie Institute of Technology revealed that "in such technical lines as engineering, about 15 percent of one's financial success is due to one's technical knowledge and about 85 percent is due to skill in human engineering - to personality and the ability to lead people". This one simple sentence says a lot and forces you to rethink. This book may have been first published in the 1930's but it sure applies today and would always.
I had to simply check it out and read it and maybe even buy it. Maybe we all are to some extent born with our human engineering skills but we need to polish them up. Maybe this book will do that for us.

No comments: