Sunday, July 31, 2005

Havoc in Mumbai

Bombay is facing one of its worst monsoons in the century with over 37 inches of rain in a single day. This is just too much. I remember in monsoon 2000 when it rained 20 inches in ahmedabad and everything was just flooded. The basement shopping complexes to parking lots were just full of water. Worse is the situation in Mumbai and with rains still going on, the whole communication has gone out of gear. One wonders how to deal with such catastrophic disasters. Can one be prepared especially in a city like Mumbai with such a huge population. I really feel sad for those whose houses were washed away and belongings destroyed but my heart goes out to people who succumbed to nature's fury. May everyone get the courage to deal with difficult times.
I was emailed some photos of this unbelievable force of nature, which I thought I can just put up here. With being in US and having no video of such things, these pictures showed my the gravity of the situation.







No comments: