Friday, March 23, 2007

Is Sanjaya Malakar bigger than War, Poverty and AIDS

Almost every day now we hear about Sanjaya Malakar, his bad singing, his hair and his luck on American Idol. I have come across several posts, videos related to the so called outrageous idea that he is still in the top ten. One girl has a video on youtube protesting against Sanjaya and claiming to go on a hunger strike and another guy has vowed not to bathe till Sanjaya gets the boot. So I ask these people and all of their kind, is Sanjaya's still being in the competition or worse winning it such a big issue, so as to prompt you to take such extreme steps. I thought the world had bigger problems like the War in Iraq, Extreme Poverty in Africa or AIDs, than a 17 year old kid beating the Idol voting system?
I am an Indian and do have a soft spot for Sanjaya, but I do agree he is not such a good singer and if this is a singing competition, he shouldn't be there. But he does not overshadow my life. Why don't Americans come together for bigger causes, contribute to the problems of the world. I did not hear anybody go on a hunger strike against the War or should I say catastrophe in Iraq. How many of you really know what hunger is? Even I cannot claim I do. Ask the kids in the African nations who do not get one decent slice of bread a day. You take out videos on youtube or protest on myspace, but have you ever wondered how many people in this world know how to read or write, let alone use the internet? Just two days back, I read here that Adult Illiteracy is highest in Washington DC. And I thought, illiteracy was the problem of the so called third world countries.

My biggest disappointment from people in the US is that they do not open their eyes to the world around them. They are so absorbed by trivial things in their own country. They plainly follow their leaders but never question them. You are the country with the biggest eceonomy, you have the power to make a difference and you have a say in how your country runs. Without going over the line, you have the right to question and demand.

So why don't you donate to the ONE Campaign, help somebody read, help in medical causes or simply try and save more 18-20 year olds from dying in the War that started with incorrect information and lies and continues to kill thousands. Leave Sanjaya and such issues merely for entertainment purposes.

No comments: