Monday, December 06, 2004

The LOG of the BLOG

BLOG - The number one word on the Internet this year.
And to tell you the truth, I came to know of what a blog is, somewhere in September-October 2004. Aah, now you may be saying that I am one of those tech dummies who do not know anything about computers beyond maybe checking my emails. I hate to tell you the truth that I am a software engineer working on the computer for more than 8 hours a day and I am a good one at most of the stuff that is done today using computers. I was a net freak, constantly surfing when I used to be in school and didn't have any deadlines to meet. There were times when I used to sit for 9 hours on my desk in front of the PC and come back and work another 6-7 hours at home developing my extensive homepage.

So why did I not know about this big breakthrough on the Internet which makes those diaries with small locks outdated and extinct? The answer is I simply don't know. Maybe after I started my new job I simply didn't get the time to surf as much as I used to do before.

That brings me to another question, how do people manage to write in their blogs on a daily basis? Where do they get the time and the material from? Is it just me or is everyone else's life more interesting than mine? I get up, goto work, workout, get back home, cook, do the dishes, watch some TV and goto sleep. I don't even find a decent half hour to read a book, which by the way I love to do. Sometimes when I don't need to cook, I spend time with friends, which again many of you do. I am sure no one wants to read the long sentence I wrote about my daily routine. So should I take up issues? Should I be like an agony aunt and give people advice on issues they have. Don't laugh, I do have a very good psychological sense and maybe you will save money on hefty psychiatrist fees. ;-)

Or is it just easier to maintain a blog when you are in school with more free time? I did manage a couple of blogs but if you see they are like a month apart. Should I also climb the BLOG bandwagon like everyone else?

I guess that just depends on whether I have the time and whether I have the material. So I guess my blogSPOT is going to be very SPOTTY with more entries sometimes and scarce the other.

By the way for you people who like roaming about the net blogging, making friends or posting on communities you should visit www.orkut.com , another something by google I think. Cool stuff, in its nascent stages but going places.

Couple of tidbits:
- How did the word BLOG originate? I understand the 'LOG' part of it but what's the B for?
- As I was doing a spellcheck in MS-Word on my blog, I realized that the words 'blog', 'blogs', 'blogging' and 'blogger' need to be added to the spellcheck tool in the next windows update/version, after all it is the most used word these days. :-)

Happy Blogging!!

No comments: